Immigration Laws


Immigration laws deal with non-U.S. citizens living in the United States legally. People who were not born in the U.S. may try to get a temporary or permanent visa to live in the United States legally. There are some visa options specifically for crime victims.

Temporary Visas. The U visa and T visa are two types of temporary visas for some crime victims. To qualify, crime victims must be working with law enforcement on a criminal case. A U visa is for victims of violent crimes, including Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault, Stalking, and Kidnapping. A T visa is for victims of Human Trafficking (either sex-based or employment-based trafficking). Immediate family members of crime victims may also be able to get these visas.

Permanent Visa. The VAWA (Violence Against Women Act) visa is for victims of Domestic Violence who are married to a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.

These visas only allow someone to live in the U.S. legally.  To be able to apply for a job, a visa holder must also apply for work authorization.  A visa holder may also apply to become a legal permanent resident of the U.S. 

Immigration law is a complicated subject, and we urge you to consult an immigration attorney if you have questions about this area of law.  If you are in a deportation proceeding or have a case in immigration court, please contact an immigration attorney.

Find legal representation in your area.
List of courts by county.

If you or someone you know needs help on this topic, click here for some Denver-based and national organizations that may help you.

To see federal statutes on visa options for crime victims, click here.