Sometimes the court decides that a person is not able to manage their own money or property. This person is called a "protected person". The court can appoint a Conservator to manage the protected person’s money and property.

Sometimes the court decides a person is not able to take care of themselves, either mentally or physically. When the protected person is under 18 years old, they are called a “minor.”  When the protected person is an adult, the court calls that person a “ward”. The court can appoint a Guardian to be responsible for the care and welfare of the minor or the ward.  

There are specific forms that need to be completed before someone can be appointed as a guardian or a conservator, click here for more information.

Sometimes, a person only needs someone else to take care of their money, property, or children for a short time.  This can sometimes be done through a Power of Attorney (POA). A Power of Attorney (POA) is not a court process.  It is a document signed by one person, called a Principal, that gives another adult, called an Agent, temporary legal power to do certain things for them.  The POA must be notarized. Click here for a sample POA form.

Find legal representation in your area.
List of courts by county.

If you or someone you know needs help on this topic, click here for some Denver-based and national organizations that may help you.

To see Colorado statutes on conservatorship/guardianship, click here.