Class: 1.0 FTE; Salaried; Exempt
Hiring Range: $60,000 - $65,000
The mission of the Rocky Mountain Victim Law Center is to elevate victims' voices, champion victims' rights, and transform the systems impacting them.
This Staff Attorney position at RMvlc is responsible for providing legal representation and legal assistance (legal assistance and technical assistance) to victims in criminal cases and Title IX proceedings. This position also includes providing technical assistance to other services providers, such as school staff, advocates, attorneys, law enforcement, and prosecutors. In collaboration with other staff members, this position will prioritize the selection of cases, motions, and impactful litigation of Victims’ Rights Act (VRA) and Title IX matters in the state of Colorado.
Our ideal candidate will share a passion for RMvlc’s mission, dedication to our Core Values, and will have a commitment to supporting victims of crime. We expect our team members to recognize that violence and oppression are inextricably linked, and that they are dedicated to grappling with the complexities of societal power and privilege in order to provide inclusive services. Candidates must recognize personal biases and address them, as well as communicate effectively with a wide range of individuals, groups, and organizations.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
• Provide pro bono direct representation to victims related to their rights under the Colorado VRA and federal CVRA.
• Provide pro bono direct representation to victims in educational settings related to their rights under Title IX.
• Provide education and support to victims related to their rights.
• Provide technical assistance to service providers regarding victim legal rights.
• Conduct intakes and needs assessments with individuals seeking services as needed.
• Participate in weekly case review meetings and program meetings.
• Participate and attend various collaboration meetings as assigned.
• Conduct trainings, both in-person and technology-assisted, on Title IX and VRA rights to legal and non-legal professionals as assigned.
• Participate in the collection and reporting of data regarding service provision.
• Maintain necessary case files and documentation for clients.
• Other duties as requested.
The Staff Attorney reports to the Legal Director.
• Juris doctorate plus 4-7 years of related experience and licensed to practice in the state of Colorado.
• Demonstrated understanding of both federal and state Victims’ Rights Acts.
• Demonstrated understanding of the rights afforded to victims in education settings under Title IX.
• Bilingual Spanish-speaking, strongly preferred.
• Strong conflict management skills.
• Experience working with victims of violent crime and demonstrated understanding of the impact of trauma.
• Demonstrated understanding of victim issues, victims’ rights within the state of Colorado, and a passion for RMvlc’s mission.
• Experience with and knowledge of Colorado appellate procedures, preferred.
• Experience and commitment to working in collaboration and partnership with victim service providers and multidisciplinary teams.
• Experience with, and commitment to, grappling with the complexities of societal power and privilege in order to understand how multiple forms of oppression (racism, classism, heterosexism, ableism, etc.) intersect with RMvlc’s work.
• Demonstrated commitment and understanding to multiculturalism, diversity, and social justice issues.
• High degree of self-motivation.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Computer literacy including MS Office products: Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
RMvlc values diverse life experience and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People of color, people with disabilities, and/or people who identify as LGBTQIA+ are strongly encouraged to apply.
Hiring Range: $60,000 - $65,000
• 100% employer paid health, vision, and dental insurance,
• Matching contribution to 401K Retirement after 1-year of service,
• accrued vacation, sick time, mental health, floating holidays (up to 26 days annually, plus 12 paid holidays),
• remote work options, and a
• monthly cell phone use reimbursement.
Submit a cover letter, resume, references, and writing sample via email to Executive Director, Emily Tofte Nestaval, at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line of “Staff Attorney”. Position will be open until filled. Applications received prior to March 18, 2021 will be given priority.
No phone calls please.